2019 ESG REPORT
Digital Realty seeks to lead the global data centre industry in sustainable environmental performance. We are committed to on-going efforts that benefit the environment and meet the needs of our customers whilst also strengthening our business.
This report contains data and information valid as of December 31, 2019.
Letter from our Our CEO
The recent period of uncertainty as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic is without precedent in our company's history. The past several months have served to clarify what is most important-the well-being and safety of our families, colleagues and communities. As we head into the summer, we are cautiously optimistic and we believe that our business is well-positioned to weather this challenging time. We have an excellent team of dedicated professionals around the world committed to Digital Realty's success, a strong balance sheet, and an unparalleled platform for innovation and growth.
In these times, our company values matter more than ever. We remain focused on ensuring that we are a leader in environmental, social and governance issues and are maintaining our focus on energy efficient data centre design and operations and partnering with our customers to deliver innovative data centre solutions. From the latest in firmwide videoconferencing capabilities to a workforce fully equipped with laptops and remote access, we are available 24/7 to respond to any needs that may arise.
Looking ahead, we're excited to have announced our commitment to setting carbon reduction goals through the Science-Based Target Initiative (SBTi), taking a holistic approach to reducing our emissions. Digital Realty stands in solidarity with those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. We remain committed and ready to meet our customers' needs reliably and sustainably which is part of our platform for continued growth and strong financial performance.
- NAREIT Leader in the Light Award, Data Centre Sector: 2017, 2018, 2019
- EPA Green Power Partnership Top 20 Tech and Telecom List
- ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award 2020
- 2019 CDP “A-“ Score
- 2019 GRESB Real Estate Assessment “Green Star” Ranking
- 2019 GRESB Public Disclosure “A-“ Score
- FTSE4Good Index Series Inclusion
Industry Groups and ESG Frameworks:
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts® (Nareit®)
- United States Green Building Council® (USGBC®) Technical Advisory Group
- TechUK Data Centre Council
- Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC)
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner
- Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance (REBA)
- Science-Based Target Initiative (SBTi)
- BOMA Waste and Water (W2) Challenge
- UK Climate Change Agreement Scheme
- Reporting frameworks: CDP, GRESB, S&P Global SAM, SASB, TCFD
- The Real Estate Roundtable